31 Days of Gratitude. Looking vs Seeing.


Do you take a look at things, or do you see them?
There's a difference, you know.

You'll 'get it' immediately if I say 
I'm looking at you
versus
I see you.

One puts us in relationships with one another where you feel a profound connection...


The other puts a distance between you and what you're observing.

Both have their place and can be useful.

Today I want to ask you about Looking and Seeing in our everyday lives.

Maybe you're looking at the flowers, trees, grass or sky
but are you seeing them?
Have you tried that?
Do you know how?

Because when we can switch from looking to seeing, we feel something so precious and alive, it's only then you realize you had been living in a fog.

It's the same way with events.
You can look at "the facts"
and not see the larger truth with its living, connecting fibers at work in your own life and everyone elses'...


It's the same way with people.
You can look at people and notice the externals
of their appearance, words, actions and layered with your reactions to all of that...
and not really see the human being within.


It's the same way with yourself, too.

It is something worth exploring further. For today, it is enough to recognize that there is a difference between looking and seeing.

For today, it is enough to play with it and notice what happens.

Here's how you can play: 
Practice with how different it feels 
to observe in two ways every time you notice something 
by referring to it as 'this,' 
and then referring to it as 'that':

This person, That person
This child, That child
This tree, That tree
This viewpoint, That viewpoint

Slow down, sense into what you're experiencing when you
observe the same thing in each of those two ways.

...

I am grateful for the ability to recognize that how I notice profoundly influences what I notice.

I am thankful to have tools to explore playing with my perspective and observing what I experience.

I am grateful for the willingness to learn more about myself, others and the world around me.






How deeply might your life be enriched  
after practicing 31 Days of Gratitude?  





{I host a linky party every Wednesday. More info *HERE.*  I'm sharing Gratitude for Ideas, flexible mind, and Imagineering with these fine folks, whose links open on ~ Sunday:  Sew Darned CraftyI Should Be Mopping The FloorMaking Monday MarvelousBrassy AppleCraftomaniacAlderberry HillUnder the Table & DreamingMaking the World Cuter ; MondaySkip to my LouCherished BlissSugar Bee Crafts ; TuesdayNot Just a HousewifeElizabeth & Co., The DIY DreamerTip Junkie's Tip Me TuesdaySavvy Southern StyleWhat we Wore & MadeUncommonGingersnap CraftsThe NY Melrose FamilyToday's Creative Blog ; WednesdayI Gotta Create! ,  All Star Block PartyThe 36th AvenueLive-Laugh-RoweHandy Man Crafty WomanThe Trendy Treehouse ; ThursdayScissors & SpatulasMy Repurposed LifeFrugal GirlsShabby Nest,  Romantic HomeFrench County CottageStuff & Nonsense ; FridayFunky Junk InteriorsHappy HourAnything GoesFinding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeTatertots & JelloThirty Handmade DaysOne Creative Mommy ; SaturdayBe Different Act NormalA Bouquet of TalentTutus & Tea PartiesSix Sisters StuffSew Country ChickDIY ShowoffPositively Splendid , Nifty Thrifty Things}



I want to hear about YOUR experience with looking versus seeing...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As usual, your description of looking vs. seeing is elegant and gets to the heart of the concept.

Although I find myself "seeing" others often, which I think serves me well, I think that part of learning to be a doctor is about learning when to look and when to see. Both are so important with problem solving. Looking at an illness while seeing the person can be challenging but healing in itself.

Also, it strikes me how rarely I "see" myself. Seems like when it comes to me, I am always "looking" in the mirror. Think I will practice a little more seeing myself. Thanks for the reminder.